Here are some highlights of the data:
- Over 20,000 less cruise ship passengers arrived in Key West in January 2007 compared to January 2006 - a 21.4% decline
- Over 12,000 less cruise ship passengers arrived in Key West in February 2007 compared to February 2006, a 14.6% decline
- Cruise ship port calls declined 18% for January 2007 and 13.6% for February 2007
- Number of tourists arriving by plane declined 8.1% for January 2007 and 9.2% for February 2007 (a total decline of 5000 fly-in tourists for the two months)
- Bed tax "3rd penny" collections were down 5.6% (approximately $20,000), the first decline in 5 years
The tourism industry here should recognize that their businesses (and much of the island economy) are in jeopardy.
Like this post? Let us know: